Wednesday, July 5

Trains, Automobiles, and Planes

I am back in Newfoundland. For good.

I left Churchill by train on Saturday, July 1 with my roommate and his folks to Thompson. If anyone ever takes the train to Churchill, paying 44 bucks for a berth on a bunk is a GOOD thing. You get access to a shower and less yahoos running about.

Then it was a 8 HOUR ride in a minivan to Selkirk, just north of Winnipeg. Now, don't get me wrong, the farm county looked "nice," but being on a straight, flat road with the same scenery for 8 HOURS can leave a Newfie a bit numb! haha Lucky for me Jesse's folks were very hospitable and a bit of alcohol was consumed before bedtime. :)

My flights were uneventful except for one thing - the new personal individual touch screens for each passenger. How cool! No more having to sit through a "family movie" for the snot-nosed kids on board! I quickly picked a movie to watch, and the flight flew by quickly (pun intended).

Everything was going great, but with only 8 minutes left to my movie, the captain turned off all monitors to land! Nooooooooo! So what do I do? Will I rent a movie only to watch the last 10 minutes? Sigh. The movie was "V for Vendetta." It was OK.

My last week in Churchill went by quickly. I was low-key on leaving. A few hugs and "see ya laters." We still had our usual Friday night game of cards. The thing I will miss most about Churchill is the friendships I made and our little Friday night social club. As for the kids, I passed them all and wished them a happy life. I also told them to "grow up" to be ready for Grade 7! haha

Back to fixing up the house.
cgc

No comments: