Tuesday, October 17

Kids

It seems the news is filled with stories of kids turning into nutjobs.

I read the paper today and the main story was about some kids, aged 7 to 11, trapping a disabled kid in a shed and burning it down. Lucky for the kid an adult came by and saved his ass. The cops can't charge the kids, but by Jesus a can of whup-ass is needed for the disturbed little buggers.

What are parents doing today? I am not a dad yet, but one is certain - I won't let the kid run the show. He (I gotta have a boy) will know who is the boss - his mother, then me (ha).

Everytime I hear a kid whine or complain, my toes curl. I just want to say, "Stop. The decision is final. Keep whining like that you will lose....blah blah blah."

As a teacher I find it hard to bite my tongue because it is the parent's "fault" in giving the kid the misconception that they are in control. All this touchy-feely kindness has gone WAY overboard. There is nothing wrong with a kid being scared of their folks. I was scared of mine.

And I turned out....ok. :)
cgc

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Chris, tell me about it. When I read it online (CBC, of course:)) my blood boiled. I can only imagine the tongue lashing and whipping I would have received from my parents. Would I do it again?? Not a chance. Will they? Probable not. Cannot touch a child anymore. A spanking now and then never hurt anyone, just teach them.

Anonymous said...

You are right dear. We the parents should take care for our flowers of eyes. MY BLOG