Sunday, November 25

The Word is Out

In Saturday's edition of The Telegram, there was a write-up in the 'NL Life' section about my wife's childhood community, Red Cliff.

In Open Hall there are some cabins being built with an excellent view of the bay. Smart move on the business owners I say, because since 2002 I have noticed more and more old buildings being refurbished, or even new cottages being built.

Usually it is the Trinity side of the Bonavista Peninsula that gets all the press. As a result, land gets bought up and money is spent in the surrounding communities. Of course, as I see land and older houses being 'snapped up' by townies or CFAers, I sit on the fence - is this a good thing?

Economically it is, because it keeps the little shops going. With good word of mouth, more people will come.

But as the 'foreigners' integrate the little communities, prices of land and houses may go up. A 'local' may feel pressured to sell sections of land because his/her children are in Fort Mac, not planning to come home. But when informed of the idea, the children feel slighted.

"Dad, I can't believe you're selling pop's land. I thought us kids were going to have that, and we could build a cabin on it for the times I come home."

Home. It is where your heart is. Not where your feet land.

2 comments:

the Red Scot said...

Completely understand your conflictions...

What does CFAers mean?

cgc said...

CFA means 'comes from away' - a reference to mainlanders