Saturday, May 13

Friday Night Rituals

I really enjoy my Friday night game of cards with my buddies. Even when I lose, which happens 95% of the time. By the time Thursday comes around, my co-workers are wondering who is hosting this week's game. Each one of us have our reasons to play: getting out of the house, away from the wife and kids, addicted to gambling, an excuse to drink, etc.

Mine?

Just to relax, have a bottle of wine, and hang out with "the boys." After a week teaching 12 year olds, I just want to decompress for a few hours. And hopefully get decent cards!

Last night we had 10 players, a couple of new faces. It is always interesting to figure out the playing style of someone new: tight, loose, etc. Me, I am pretty conservative. I don't have much of a poker face, so the guys know I have good cards 99% of the time (did I mention I hardly win?).

Now with the impending move back to Newfoundland and all the joy that goes with it (living with my wife & going to school) I realize that it will be the Friday nights with my circle of friends that I will miss most of all. And the question is: Will I be able to find such a good group of guys back on the rock?

I hope so. But it won't be the same.

cgc

No comments: