Monday, August 13

Dulcie Jane Combden R.I.P.

Last Wednesday morning my paternal grandmother passed away at 88 years old. Thankfully it was quick, peaceful, and in the arms of my father and aunt at my aunt's house.

It came as a surprise to all of us but the family was happy nan passed at this time. She got to see her granddaughter Amy get married, she visited the family home on Fogo Island one more time and saw many visitors, and she joined pop in eternity before dad went up north again to teach.

I was very close to her, from visiting each summer on Barr'd Islands, living with her for 2 years when I went to community college in Lewisporte, to seeing her every time I went to Baytona. Even though she "loved her boys", nan loved all her family equally. As I got to know my older cousins better, they told me what it was like to visit our grandparents when they were younger.

It was hectic at our house, with relatives and family coming from Alberta, Ontario and all parts of the island. With the sadness came a sense of peace, but I'll miss her beautiful green eyes and smile. Loves ya nan.

Here are just a few pictures:
Nan and dad in the 60's. She was bigger, dad was smaller. :)


Pop, nan and me on the steps of 'da house' on Barr'd Islands in the early 70's.

My Grade 7 (yes, I was a runt) graduation in '86.



Pop and Nan celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary in '89.

At our wedding in 2004, wearing her favourite dress.

She laughed all the way through this dance, and loved it.

3 comments:

Table Mountains said...

my condolences to you and your family. my grandfathers died when i was young but i knew the love of my grandmothers for over 40 years before they passed away.

Blog of Elliott said...

Chris, sorry to hear of the passing of your grandmother. I know life is difficult but your found memories will help you today and in the future. God Bless

nadinebc said...

I just went through this myself, it is so hard. My thoughts are with you.