Monday, August 27

Fast cars & ATVs

I had a quad growing up in the late 80's. But it was small and certainly much less powerful than the ATVs bootin' around these days.

Yes, there were times I did not wear my helmet, and times I drove on the road, but I was never reckless. My father would have tanned my butt if he found out I was.

This summer has been depressing with all the people getting killed or seriously hurt. With the improved highways, are people driving faster? With the faster quads, are the younger drivers taking more chances?

I know there are age restrictions on the ATVs. But how closely are they being followed? Apparently the public is split on whether parents should be charged if their kids caused an accident. At this point my opinion is "Yes, they should."

But our culture is so soft, giving so many chances, with individuals not having to pay back the damages they create to businesses and individuals. Everything seems so "kid-centered" with parents having a hard time saying "no" and sticking to their convictions.

I consider myself to be very liberal minded, but when it comes to people doing crimes and causing damage, especially when they are young, I don't feel as liberal. People need to learn that actions have consequences.

2 comments:

Table Mountains said...

there are plenty of rules in place regarding the ATV's in the province but enforcement seems to be the problem. each time i hear of an ATV accident i wonder how many more would there be if the trains still ran across the island? i worked on the rails in the late 80's before the railway closed and each week we had an incident where we would have to stop the track driven equipment to free a kid stuck on the tracks.quads today are much heavier and i dare say they would be stuck more. ironically the size of the driver seem to be getting smaller today. i see kids not in their teens driving the quads today.

(one amusing thing we always hear when we collided with a vehicle or quad on railway crossings...."but i wasn't on the track!")

nadinebc said...

You had actual parents who set limits on what you did and backed up what they said with action. Most kids lack that.