Monday, December 24

Its Xmas time. Ho ho ho. $$$

I'm not a big fan of what Christmas has become - getting the latest fad to make the kids happy. I am NOT a religious person, but Santa has replaced baby Jesus as the main symbol a LONG time ago.

Christmas for me is a time to relax, reflect, and spend time with loved ones and friends. Not spending time at the Avalon mall looking for stocking stuffers and fighting for parking spaces.

On Friday some of my students gave me gifts. It was sweet. I had bought them book coupons, pens, and candy canes. But I told them to reward the music teacher (who also teaches them 1/2 time) instead of me, because she had spent hours practicing for the Christmas concert (which went great). Instead, they bought presents for both of us. I reminded them before they left to enjoy their time with family and remember that the season is not only about getting presents. Hopefully it will sink in.

I had the intention this year to take the $$ I would have spent on gifts and buy grub for a food bank. But considering the sadness my wife was going through with the recent passing of her father, I decided getting her trinkets and presents would put a smile on her face.

Tomorrow may be a bittersweet day here in Red Cliffe, but seeing my wife go through her stocking anf gifts is better than telling her I spent 300 bucks on Kraft Dinner for local food banks!

No comments: