Friday, January 4

Stuff

Rambling and Rumbling

My holidays are fast coming to an end. I'll be seeing the kids on Monday mo(u)rning, and I'm sure they would rather be in bed or playing in a snow bank. Me too.

After making excuses for 6 months, I finally went to the gym yesterday. This morning my arms feel like they are going to fall off and my legs are rubber. Perfect for ball & ice hockey that starts up next week. Another batch of middle-aged men trying to maintain 'da dream' and fighting off the spare tire.

While watching her CSI/Without a Trace/Cold Case/yada yada yada shows last night, my wife got frustrated with all the news interruptions about the voting in the states. Then I tried to explain to her the system of delegates. Thank god I had the Globe and Mail with a diagram to explain the crazy system in the states and past stats on primarys.

After explaining how Iowa is important because it is the first, not the biggest primary, and it is more about media predictions and $$, she simply and sufficiently declared, "Then this voting in Iowa means nothing."

True. But not true. Even as Canadians, it will be an interesting year, with people choosing to either vote for Oprah's man, Bill's other half, Mr. 9/11, and all the other pretenders.

With the writers' strike, it won't be so bad that political news interrupts all those CSI/doctor/lawyer/cop shows. Except Lost. At least that is going to be new!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wife here...I didn't mean the Iowa vote meant nothing, I meant all the primaries and caususes meant nothing.....because in the long run the don't count....they simply give us an idea right now whose in the lead. What I was meaning was I don't see the need for all this needless spending on voting to no avail. The millions that they are spending on these primaries could be better spent....there are still people homeless in New Orlean's after the flooding, not to mention all their other isssues.