Saturday, April 28

Free Books For Students & Other Thoughts

Well, it finally happened: Grade 9 to 12 students will not have to buy core textbooks the upcoming school year.

What the hell is meant by "core?" I'm a teacher (ok, a sub) and I don't know what that means. I guess kids (but really parents) will still need to buy novels, workbooks, and other minor things, but at least it is a step in the right direction.

I forsee headaches in keeping track of "who got what book" and keeping tabs on getting the book back in one piece. Second hand bookstores will certainly take a hit in sales.

Hopefully in the next budget, Danny will address classroom size and put $$ towards making class sizes smaller. If the general population expects student-centered learning with all the different learning outcomes, then there needs to be time focusing on individual students!

As I subbed in various schools throughout the year, I have noticed the striking differences in the quality of the technology labs. Some schools are bursting with new computers, while others are still running Windows 98 with broken CD-ROM drives. I have learned to keep my mouth shut while talking to staff. It is like a competition getting $$ for technology when there are so many other needs.

No comments: