Wednesday, December 20

Subbing

In my last posting I mentioned I dreaded subbing Basic English at a local jr/sr high school. My fears were well founded.

What bothered me the most was the shear vulgarity of the students talking to each other as I TRIED to teach. Words like faggot, fruit, shit, f*ck came out of their mouths just as easy as the words. I asked them repeatedly to stop talking 'potty mouth' and they just laughed and said it was their everyday speech. I told them outside of school, that's fine, but in the class, it is a no-no.

They ignored me.

The next day I subbed a grade 4 class. It was a welcome relief. My greatest stress of the day was making sure a kid didn't eat their snot after picking their nose. I shoulda been an elementaty teacher. The kids fear because I'm tall. In jr/sr high, I'm a runt.

later

cgc

No comments: